Friday, July 22, 2011

Say hi to my new Diana mini camera


A friend of mine works at the company Lomography, which has brought back novelty analog cameras -- Diana, Holga, Fisheye, etc.  For Fashion's Night Out in September, they've invited a few designers, including me, to document our creative process using one of their cameras.  I was given the Diana mini.

Here is a sample of a shot taken by a Diana mini (not by me), from the Lomography site:


The photos are a little more saturated in color, and sometimes come out a little vignetted.  

The Diana mini (unlike the Diana) uses regular 35mm film, (with which the Lomography people generously provided me, in addition to the camera), but the images come out square, like this one.  There is also the possibility of doing split shots like this one: 


I've spent the past few days getting acquainted with the camera.  The detachable flash runs on a single AA battery; the camera itself runs on magic (no batteries).  It's been a while since I've used an analog camera, so it's been fun going back to winding the film by hand and turning the flash on manually.  The Lomography people gave me a refresher on loading and unloading the film.  With the camera, there is a knob to choose between indoor and daylight, a know to choose between natural and B (which means long exposure but in my head I think of as blurry), and another knob on the lens for adjusting the focus.  There are four settings for the focus, which are actually just distances from the camera to the subject -- 0.6m, 1-2m, 2-4m, and 4+ m.

I just shot a test roll to get acquainted with the camera, which I need to drop off to see how I did.  I'll be posting a couple of photos on the blog as I progress through the process of documenting and developing my collection, so check back!

The Diana mini is available for purchase here or at one of the Lomography stores.

No comments: