Sunday, July 17, 2011

My hair is short again!

It's that time again.  Time when I get bored with my hair and chop it all off.  As you may recall from my previous post, after my trip to Miami, my hair looked like this:


Long, but buzzed on the side.  My hair was quite long, a few inches past my shoulder blades.  Although it was pretty, it's been hot in NY this summer, and in general, my hair feels like more of a nuisance, especially when I go rock climbing and my hair is so long it doesn't stay in a bun so well any more.

I've always admired Kate Lanphear's style, especially her hair, which looks like this:


I'd been looking at images of women with short hair for inspiration for the project I'm working on, and came across an article online about salons that specialized in short haircuts.  One salon was Crops for Girls, in the East Village (437 E 9th street between 1st and A).  Reviews on Yelp were positive and I read that he gave free hair cuts for people planning to donate their hair, so I called and made an appointment.

Michael, the proprietor, was very nice.  I got there a bit later than planned after hitting up a friend's BBQ, but he didn't get angry.  He is a little shy but knows his shit.  I showed him pictures of what I wanted, and after snipping off my ponytail (which I will be donating to Pantene's Beautiful Lengths after a friend mentioned this NYT article that says most of the hair donated to Locks of Love are trashed), he got down to business.  We listened to jazz singer Peggy Lee croon as he snipped my hair, and talked about the stars from the 40s whose portraits adorn his salon.  His salon has a retro feel, and was very clean and nicely decorated.  About an hour later, I had a beautiful new haircut.  He touched up the buzzing that was growing out on the side (and fixed some mistakes I had made while trying to touch it up myself) and created a sleek bob on the other side.


I've gotten lots of compliments and even my parents like it, so I know that he did a good job.  I am hoping to shave my head at some point though, or bleaching my hair so I can be more like Kate, who is such a badass.

No comments: