Saturday, November 28, 2009

Rock Climbing

What did I do on Black Friday? I certainly didn't shop -- the thought of fighting through the crowds made shopping the last thing I wanted to do today.

Instead, I went indoor rock climbing. I started getting into rock climbing this fall. I've been trying to find an activity that I enjoy that will get me into shape. In high school, I ran track and did some swimming and tennis. I was more of a sprinter though, and I don't really like running, especially on a treadmill where I always feel like I'm going to fall off. Swimming indoors kind of sucks because indoor pools are so humid and you feel like you're going to suffocate from lack of oxygen after several laps. Tennis is fun but I get kind of sick of running around after the ball. I hate going to the gym -- I get so bored. I've also tried yoga, but the few times I've gone, I've just been standing there, acutely aware of my discomfort, wondering when the class would be over.

Rock climbing is fun because you're focused on getting to the top of the climb so you don't realize you're exercising. It's also cool because you're mainly competing with yourself, trying to improve your footwork and technique, and getting through harder and harder climbs. (As a side note, if I lived in a warmer area, I'd love to get into surfing).

Here are a few places to check out if you're interested in getting into climbing:

1. I initiated myself into the sport (someone corrected me and said it's more like an activity) by checking out the open climb at the Field House at Chelsea Piers. On Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings, you pay $22, which includes shoe and harness rental, and there is an instructor named Devin who teaches you how to climb the wall. One of the most important aspects of climbing to remember is to use your feet, which is counterintuitive. Most people instinctively try to pull themselves up with their arms, which ends up making you tired very quickly. Here is a picture of me on the wall:
I bought a 10-pass which is only $160 and have been going every week. Another thing I love about it is that I can see myself improving each time. If I don't get a climb one week, I'll often be able to do it the next time. Devin is also a great instructor, and very encouraging. The only negative about the wall here is that it's only 20 ft tall, and not very wide.

2. This is not to be confused with the wall at the Sports Center at Chelsea Piers:
According to the website, this wall is 46 ft tall, and 10,000 sq ft in area. It looks awesome and I'd love to go but you either need a membership or a day pass that costs $50. A little pricey for me.

3. After going several times at Chelsea Piers, a friend took me up to the Gunks, which is the colloquial name for Shawangunk Ridge, near New Paltz, in upstate New York. Considering it's only a couple hours outside the city, it's great climbing. Here are some photos my friend took of me the last time I went up a couple of weeks ago:
Here I am, climbing up, I think it was Shockley's (if you are the first to go up a climb, you can name it). I am afraid of heights (the height of the cliffs average around 150 ft according to Wikipedia) and was terrified while I was climbing so I was hugging the rock for dear life. However, you are actually supposed to lean back with your arms straight (bending your arms is bad because it burns out your muscles), and your legs bent.

Here I am, rappelling down. This looks fun, but is a little scary too because you are basically letting yourself fall down a cliff (you control your progress down by pulling on the rope), although it is safe because you're secured with the rope. We normally get to the cliffs around 9am and stay there til around 2pm. A day goes by very quickly at the Gunks. Afterwards, we stop at the Farmer's Market. I like to get apple cider donuts which are yummy; my friend enjoys the peanut butter cookies.

Unfortunately, because the Gunks are a bit far and you can only go when the weather permits, I probably won't get to go much for the next couple of months.

4. A few months ago, a climbing gym called Brooklyn Boulders opened up in Park Slope. The walls there are a little higher than at the Field House at Chelsea Piers, around 30 ft tall, and it's a lot bigger. A day pass is $20, but you have to pay another $10 to rent shoes and a harness. Also, unlike at the Field House, there isn't an instructor guiding and belaying you. The place is geared more towards experienced climbers. We took the "Learn the Ropes" class, but they basically just teach you how to belay (tying a figure 8 knot, using the grigri device), and don't really teach you much about climbing. You also need to make sure you have a partner who is belay certified, unless you just want to boulder.
5. Today, since I was in Westchester, I went with my friend to check out The Cliffs at Valhalla, one of the indoor climbing gyms in the area.
This gym is even bigger than Brooklyn Boulders, and the walls are higher, maybe around 40 ft? I tried out the bouldering, which was tough (but luckily you have the little crash mats) and a couple of the easier climbs (I did a couple of 5'6es but had difficulty with the 5'7s and 5'8s). A day pass costs $16, plus $5 for shoe rental, $3 for harness. Depending on when you go, the staff will belay you. It was a fun time, and when I got home I was exhausted.

One thing I noticed about the walls at The Indoor Cliffs and BKB vs. The Field House is that there are features in the wall at the Field House, or bumps and grooves in the wall that aren't actual holds, whereas the walls at the other places are totally flat with the rocks stuck on them.

Before I went up to the Gunks this last time, I bought some shoes, since you have to rent them there and at some of the gyms I've been going to. I managed to go to EMS when they were having a sale, and bought these:
This is the FIVE TEN's Women's "Siren" climbing shoe. I got them for about a hundred bucks. They have FIVE TENs at Chelsea Piers, and I also liked the Coyote model, but they were sold out of the Fox, which is the women's equivalent. Anyway, I tried these on as well as Sportivas but I liked the fit (and I'll be honest, the look) of these shoes better.

I also picked up this Prana chalk bag:
Mine is blue. I liked the feel of the outside of the bag and it was easier to open and close than the Black Diamond one.

A few days ago I also bought this Petzl Sama harness:
It's actually the men's model but it fit me well (and they were sold out of the women's medium).

And, finally, a carabiner to clip my chalk bag to my harness:
Mine is blue.

Good times. This entry turned out to be much longer than I intended. Happy Climbing!

No comments: