Friday, November 20, 2009

Comparisons

The fashion industry has been buzzing about the apparent suicide of Korean model, Daul Kim, aged 20. I was struck by the news for a couple reasons. First, obviously, because she was Korean. Secondly, hers was a star that was on the rise, and for the past couple of years, she's been walking some of the hottest shows.

Finally, despite being Korean (from South Korea), she intrigued me because her outlook on life seemed much more liberal and independent than that which I associate with South Korean culture. Her candid writing on her blog was refreshing to read and she was one of the few top models about whom I felt, "I want to be friends with her."

Anyway, hearing about it reminded me of that quote -- "Don't compare what you know about yourself with what you don't know about someone else." From the outside, it seemed like she had it all -- beauty, looks, fame, success, but apparently she was quite unhappy.

RIP.

No comments: