Saturday, June 9, 2012

Bridesmaid dress

About a year and a half ago, I "made" my friend Rachel's wedding dress.  Her best friend got married recently, so after helping her search for the right bridesmaid dress unsuccessfully, I offered to make it for her.  She wanted a simple black dress that was made out of a knit fabric, and that she could wear again after the wedding.  She told me the bride wanted something like this dress: 



We set off for Mood, where she purchased black bamboo stretch fabric.  I used some old fabric to make the muslin which we fit in the middle of her birthday celebration at Dave & Busters, and then went ahead and cut the actual garment.  I was glad I had her buy 4 yards of fabric because the skirt was quite wide.

The dress is very simple, with a higher front neckline, and a bit of a scoop in the back neck.  There are two layers of the circle skirt, which is why it took so much fabric.

On the mannequin:


Rachel and Ryan at the wedding in Kentucky!




Rachel's been wearing the dress to castings and says she has been getting lots of compliments!  Which I guess goes to show that sometimes people don't want edgy fashion, they just want clothes that make them look good.

2 comments:

kennady said...

It is a wonderful picture of engaged couples and bridal dress was looking impressive. The newly engaged people may use the best dress vendors is simple with the help of wedding apps and make your wedding shopping easy.

Weaveron Textile said...

wonderful picture.....
click it...: http://www.weaveron.com/