Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Some inspiration

Happy new year!

The reason I started this blog was to provide insight to other aspiring fashion designers.  A little over a year ago, I got an email from a fashion student asking to interview me for a paper she was writing for school. 

A couple of days ago, I got an email from her:

Janet,
I know this is super random, but I thought I'd update you on what that paper I did on you (over a year ago) has inspired me to do. I'm going to France!
After what feels like a billion scholarship applications and competitions I finally won the Blanche Payne Award for my design work and it has helped finance my trip to Paris.
I'll be studying French for a semester at the Sorbonne and then fashion at Paris American Academy during the summer with hopefully an internship throughout.
Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you for being an inspiration, and someone I look up to in garnering the courage for my adventures. I know going to Europe's not that big a deal to some people, but for someone like me (a broke college student with no financial support from anyone) it's monumental and hopefully will be life changing.

Best Regards,

Calli Roche

P.S. Any 'must sees' you can recommend while I'm in Paris?


It seems she's already gotten some press of her own, and it was really inspiring to hear about how she worked hard to make her dream of going to Paris come true.


To answer her question, some of my favorite things to do in Paris:
1) Musee d'Orsay - I love Van Gogh and Impressionist paintings, and they've got many great ones here.  Also, unlike the Louvre, the museum is a manageable size, and you can pretty much see the whole thing in a couple of hours.


2) Boutique visits - I love checking out boutiques. 
- If you go to the 8th arrondissement (around av. Montaigne), you can visit the flagship boutiques of most of the luxury French brands.

- Rue St. Honore in the 1st arr is another destination for chic boutiques, including probably the best one in Paris, Colette.

- I also enjoy walking around the Marais, which has cool boutiques, cafes, and bars.


3) I used to live on Ile St. Louis (connected to Ile de la Cite), where there are cute little gourmet food shops and some nice restaurants as well.

4) Another cool place to hang out is in the 10th, near the Canal St. Martin.  There are a couple of bars along the water which are cool to hang out at.

Paris is such a beautiful city.  It's fun to just walk around, explore, and find a cafe or bar to relax at and people watch.  It's also hard to go wrong with food, whether it's just walking into a restaurant or going into a boulangerie and buying yourself some treats.  Paris me manque!

No comments: