Wednesday, January 12, 2011

knitting machine!

A while ago I bought the Ultimate Sweater Machine.  I've always wanted to get a knitting machine but real ones are fairly pricey, I was able to find this one on eBay for around $60, so I thought it would be a good intermediary machine.

It was lying around my apartment for a while, when I decided to make a scarf for my friend Pooja's birthday.  If you recall, she bought this Jitterbug coat during our trip to Maine: 

I figured it would be hard to find a matching scarf so I decided to knit one.  I tried to pick colors that would match the coat, although without the coat on hand I wasn't 100% accurate.


The knitting is done by moving the carriage back and forth across the metal needles.  It's very satisfying because you can do the knitting in a fraction of the time it would ordinarily take.  I think this took me around 4 hours to do in total? 


The finished product.  I followed the instructions that came with the book, which told me to undo every other stitch for a more loosely knit scarf.  I tied the yellow tassels by hand at the end.  I am looking forward to playing around more with the machine.

No comments: