Monday, October 25, 2010

Rachel's Wedding Dress - Part 3

In my last post about Rachel's dress, the first fitting found the bodice to be too short.  I made some alterations to the pattern and we did another fitting.  This time the length was okay, but because of some small miscalculations, the bodice wasn't closing on Rachel, who hadn't changed in terms of size since our last fitting.  The bodice was a little tricky to fit because there wasn't a lot of room for error.  If it was too loose it wouldn't look the way we wanted, and if it was too tight, she wouldn't be able to get it on.

I added a little bit along the center back, and we refit the bodice.  This time the fit was almost perfect:
IMG_1255

As previously, I used extra fabric I had around to construct the mockup -- this is NOT the actual fabric of the bodice.  Although her breasts look great here, we decided that it was a little too low for a wedding ceremony, and I will raise the top of the center front about an inch.  The shoulders were slipping off a bit as well, so I am going to take the shoulder up about 1/2".  The sleeves will be buttoned to fit and poof out a bit above the elbow.

Now that we've gotten the fit right, it's time to buy the fabric!

Rachel posing with her friend, the mannequin.

No comments: