Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Introducing Manimal!

Whenever the seasons change I get this allergy/sickness... the timing is such that I believe it's allergies, but it usually lasts a week or so where I feel miserable. I've tried Claritin, and there are probably other allergy meds I should try but a combination of laziness and lack of health insurance have been barriers to discovering the cure to my allergy/sickness.

Anyway, if you saw my SS11 collection, you would have noticed the awesome moccasins by Manimal, designed by my new friend Kristen Lombardi. She just revamped her website so you should check it out.

Before the show, I was over at her cute apartment in Brooklyn to pick up shoes, and she let me photograph her workspace.

Here are some of the moccasins from her line.

Kristen went to school at Massachusetts College of Art and Design in Boston, where she studied apparel design. Once she got interested in moccasins, she taught herself how to work with leather to create these awesome shoes!

She makes all of the moccasins and accessories from her line by hand in her studio. Here are the machines she uses.



Kristen is a true artisan, and it was inspiring to see her studio and collaborate with her for this collection.

Kristen was a little shy, but I managed to get her to take a picture. She is expecting a baby very soon!

If you appreciate craftsmanship, you should check out her online shop. She makes all of the pieces by hand so if you have any special needs, she can probably hook it up.

No comments: