Saturday, July 17, 2010

Why Brooklyn is overrated

When you're artsy and your friends are artsy, you're bound to know someone who lives in Brooklyn. I don't have any problems with people living in Brooklyn... until they try to get me to go to Brooklyn. I have to like you a lot to make the trek out to Brooklyn to see you or to go to your house party.

Now I get why some people are enthralled with Brooklyn.
1) It's generally cheaper than Manhattan and there are lots of cool little neighborhoods with cool bars, restaurants, parks, Ikea, etc.
2) Brooklyn has become associated with creativity and coolness, since lots of artsy people live there, particularly in Billyburg and the Slope.
3) There are many areas that feel less like a city and more like a town, even the suburbs.

BUT here are reasons why Brooklyn is not that great.
1) Rent in Brooklyn can be cheap, but with gentrification, rent in the nicer areas is actually very close to, if not equal to prices in Manhattan, especially in the Williamsburg, Park Slope, and Brooklyn Heights areas.
2) Brooklyn can be VERY inconvenient. Traveling between neighborhoods in Brooklyn sometimes involves going back into Manhattan to switch trains, unless you know the bus routes really well or have a bike. Furthermore, there are frequent train problems between Brooklyn and Manhattan, particularly on weekends.
3) If I wanted to get away from the city, I'd go to Westchester.
4) Those artsy people can be pretentious. In Williamsburg, you feel out of place if you're not dressed like a hipster.

Sometimes my friends are like, but Williamsburg is only ONE STOP away from the city. To which I'm like, why would I want to live one stop away from the city if I could live IN the city? Why would I pay a premium to be frequently inconvenienced (I'm not exaggerating, most of my trips to Brooklyn involve some sort of train fail)?

In sum, awesome if you love Brooklyn, but don't try to convince me that it is better than Manhattan.

No comments: