Saturday, October 3, 2009

Emmanuelle Alt quote about success in fashion

opening look from his spring 2010 collection

For the past few seasons, Christophe Decarnin's star has been rising with his rock star collections for the French house, Balmain. Cathy Horyn wrote a profile on Decarnin last year for T magazine. I thought the following quote by Emmanuelle Alt (an editor at French Vogue) was apt.

From Couture Dude by Cathy Horyn written for T magazine 10/19/08:

His rise at Balmain seems improbable for another reason. I asked Alt, who has known him for 15 years, why she thought it had taken Decarnin so long — he is now 45 — to get noticed. ‘‘I think success in life is half your personality and half your talent,’’ she said. ‘‘He has the talent, but the personality. . . .’’ She smiled. ‘‘You know, if you always stay in the shadows and don’t have the connections, it’s more difficult. Some people have a lot less talent, but they push themselves and go out and meet people.’’ Decarnin said he never goes to clubs. He once went to St.-Tropez but it was years ago, he said.

hanging with his pal julia restoin roitfeld

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's true.
talent takes a backseat to celebrity/exposure most of the time. maybe people are too lazy to explore and discover on their own. they want things forced on them; require people to over-expose themselves. exhausting just to watch.

unrelated - your lace leggings are pitch-perfect!

jessica said...

thats so so true .
& about your ss10 video for graey: love that purple number & the little silk bra !!
so so very cute :]

Cheryl Lynn Pastor Romance Author said...

Very interesting. He is obviously very talented, but I agree with Alt. Starting my own business, I quickly realized the importance of making connections. I am a budding fashion writer and I know how difficult this can be.

Thanks for dropping by my blog. Great post.

StyleSpy said...

Bucking the tide here, but I've been utterly underwhelmed by Decarnin's work. However, I do agree with Alt -- personality can be more important than talent. It's the rare outsized character (e.g., John Galliano) who manage to combine both.

Janet, I love your collection & would really like to feature it on my blog. Please contact me at shine at austin.rr.com. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

thanx for the blog comment.
I checked out your collection!
Amazing!
I tried to comment but my youtube has gone dodged!
Anyway thought I'd let you know.
I'll try and do a post about you over the next couple of weeks!
Tomorrow x
www.inthebedroommirror.blogspot.com

Couture Carrie said...

He is a total genius!

Loved your video too ~ thanks for the link!

xoxox,
CC

Fashion Cappuccino said...

I really like that quote because it's so true. I just wish that more talented people would be discovered and get the spotlight before it's too late! xxoxoxo

roxanne said...

lovedddd the collection video!

JOWY said...

Aint that the truth! Loving this post!

One Love,
Jowy
www.iseejanemary.blogspot.com

Cindiddy said...

love those boots shes wearing!

Anonymous said...

So true.
Love this post.

Check out me blog?
samichami.blogspot.com

Pratishtha Durga said...

Unfortunately, sometimes talent alone does not guarantee you the spotlight. So yes, the frills might be necessary.

Love your blog.

E said...

He's a force to be reckoned with.

FrouFrouu said...

It's a shame people don't necessarily get recognised for their talents, luck plays an annoyingly large part.

Winnie said...

I love the look of that distressed top!

La Chauve-Souris said...

coool!!!

Kira Aderne said...

Beautiful people!

Nadir H. said...

beautiful look