Saturday, June 7, 2008

Internship at Christian Dior -- Introduction

Julian's friend was a contributing editor at Vogue at the time, and had suggested through Julian that I keep a diary of my internship there, for possible inclusion in the magazine. That didn't happen, but I'm glad I kept a record of my internship.

Much of my experience involved just trying to figure out what was happening. There were several reasons for my confusion. First of all, I had not yet had any formal training in fashion aside from my very brief experience at Marc Jacobs, which, in comparison to Dior, was still a small enterprise. Secondly, my French was lacking and while Galliano, his head assistants, and several of the other assistant designers were British or at least English-speaking, much of the design studio and other employees as well as interns with whom I interacted on a daily basis were either French of spoke French more fluently than English. Thirdly, Dior is a massive organization. I was there to assist with the haute couture collection, but at the same time there were people working on the pret-a-porter, accessories, and lingerie collections. To further complicate things, Galliano had his own design studio for his eponymous label in the 20th arrondissement, whose designers and interns also came to help out in the Dior studio. There were so many things going on at the same time that it was hard to keep track and really follow everything.

When I started my internship on June 10th, there were already three other interns, all French. Another joined a week or so later. Three had gotten their internships through some sort of connection (like me), but one had gotten her internship through her own merit, having just finished her schooling at the Chambre Syndicale. Her name was Karin and she was very friendly. She had been there for a few months and helped me to piece together what was happening.

At the time, John Galliano was one of my favorite designers (I still respect him but right now my favorite designers are probably Nicolas Ghesquiere and Christopher Kane). So for me, seeing him was like seeing a rock star. We would see him from time to time and he was very friendly. I vividly remember him in a pink tank, pink bandana, and hair in two braids like a schoolgirl. I got to speak to him on a couple of occasions, once when I was organizing books for him and another time when I went down in the tiny elevator with him (there was a regular sized elevator and there was a small two-person sized elevator). This is the conversation we had:

me: I just wanted to say, I want to be like you when I grow up!
JG: (laughs) You will! (we get off the elevator) See you later!

Right. One of the best assignments I was given involved hopping in a sleek black BMW to drive to Galliano's beautiful residence in the Marais. I walked inside the front foyer, almost attacked by a tiny barking (but harmless) dog, and dropped off the show soundtrack for him. However, most of the assignments were standard intern bitchwork: making (lots of) photocopies, which was necessary for keeping everyone in the studio and production staff on the same page (literally), fetching McDonalds/coffee/shoe polish/thongs/fabric swatches/wifebeaters/spray paint/anything and everything, ironing fabric tape, dyeing said fabric tape, cutting out patterns and pieces of fabric, sewing/embroidering small things, etc.

I leave you with this image:

10 comments:

jj. said...

I am jealous beyond belief of your experience deep in the workshops of Galliano. I just stumbled across you while looking into who I must contact in order to do just as you have done. Unfortunately for me I have no contact in that area, however, I know my shit in the sewing department. With any luck my own merit can be enough? I'm just anxious as all hell and working for that man in particular would be an absolute dream come true. What would your suggestion be? You seem to have the knowledge and the know-how lady.

Sincerely,
Janelle

janet said...

thanks for reading the blog! to be honest i think it's really hard to get in there without a personal connection just because many people want to be there. if you're still in school your teachers might know someone. otherwise, if you're lucky, persistence and perseverance might help. i would try calling the galliano offices (rather than the dior one) b/c i think it's slightly easier to get in there.

Unknown said...

Hey, im anuva from india, delhi to be exact
My mothers really good friend is the vice president of something of dior in india actually. and i was looking at doing an internship in dior in the summer in america. i leave for the states on the 8th for this global conference and get free by the 26th of june. which leaves me with just another week in ny. but we do have 2 dior stores in delhi. so if not in ny. i can do it here once im back in july/august. but i wanna know what exactly i will be doing before my mum asks her friend. so can you tell me just a little bit more? thanks a ton. if you have facebook. can you add me?
its Anuva Jain.
thanks once again
Xx

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just read your blog while looking for internships at Christian Dior Parfums. I do not think I will be able to find an internship in France. However, I know there is the one in New York. Do you know how I can get an internship with Dior in marketing? It is my ultimate dream to work in there. Please email me with any details at paulanguyen09@gmail(dot)com (replacing the dot with "." of course)

Thanks so much!
Paula Nguyen

Angelina Antoinette said...

You are so so lucky to have landed this internship =] I'm sure you've heard of that already. You mentioned that you were not very experienced and did not speak French. Is that a problem if you want to intern from them. John Galliano is probably my favorite designer and I want to be a part of this, unfortunately, just like everyone else. How do you think I can land an internship like this and stand out from the rest? Do I have to show my sketches or anything? My sewing is not very excellent, yet I have the ambition to want to succeed in this industry. Is that enough?

Thank you for taking the time to reading my comments, and good luck on everything!


Sincerely,
Angelina

Ting Ni said...

Hey I am crazy for his collection!I am a fashion design student,can you please contact me,I am a Chinese student too.

Unknown said...

I love how me like other people are stumbling apon your blog in our desperate searches to find internships within the fashion industry. I would like to say way to go! even though this blog was over a year ago lol.

Jazz Virtue said...

This looks like an absolutely amazing experience!
I know this was a while back, but I have been searching (like everyone else) for a contact for internships with Galliano for months now and to no success. If there's any information anyone can leave me, would be very much appreciated!
my email: sd08jv@leeds.ac.uk

thanks! x

janet said...

jenni? tried to contact you but couldn't find you...

Jenni said...

I'm sorry, I forgot to use my google account which actually shows my email. However, my email is jennituomisto1@gmail.com :)