Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A Disclaimer Of Sorts

Before I continue posting about my experiences in fashion, I wanted to say a couple of things.

I was inspired to write about my experiences because when you read about famous and successful designers, you rarely hear much detail about the ascent into fashion stardom. Or, for that matter, success in any field. Hardships are glossed over and it often seems like things happened to the person overnight. People don't like to talk too much about the failures and hardships experienced on the road to success. Kind of like how you rarely see a famous artist's bad paintings.

Although I wouldn't call myself successful, so far I have managed to achieve a few things that other aspiring designers would be interested in knowing how I achieved. In reading many different designers' biographies, one thing that's certain is that there's no one way to become a "successful" designer. There is something of a "standard" route of going to design school and interning for other designers before launching one's own line or being hired to design for a well established line. But the interesting but also somewhat frustrating thing about fashion is that following this route doesn't necessarily guarantee success, and many successful designers have not followed it at all.

I write only about the route I have taken. This does not mean I think it would work for everyone, but I have always found it interesting and valuable to learn about how others achieved the same goals I pursue.

No comments: